Thoughts on my first work trip after Boo:
1. There is nothing better than the ability to video chat when you’re out of town. Even if it meant Theo was a little heartbreakingly confused by why he could see and hear me but not touch me (he kept reaching out to the phone), seeing his little smile made it easier to be away.
2. If you’re going to travel for work, having the first trip last only 24 hours is definitely ideal. I still got to see him both days I was gone (on the front and then the tail end), which made it infinitely easier. Ask me how I feel in September when confronted with two nights away. Baby steps.
3. I’ve become one of those annoying people who talks about their kids all the time. #sorrynotsorry – my baby is adorable and needs to be shared with the world, as far as I’m concerned.
4. I’m incredibly awkward about the fact that I’m carrying around breast milk in an airport (or “human milk” as I dubbed it to my coworkers). However, the most awkward thing was actually that I holed up in a family bathroom, sat on the floor shirtless, and pumped in bliss at the airport because there was a plug (the battery pack just doesn’t have as much oomph). I’m so grateful every day that I was born without an overdeveloped sense of shame (or any sense of shame, really).
5. Great things that happened in my 24 hours away: I slept through one entire night, got to spend some time with my coworkers and didn’t have to worry about rushing home because of Mom guilt, and learned that the occasional Xanax in flight is fine, even when breastfeeding. A giant relief in the middle of a bumpy ascent into the mountain air.
It’s all a journey, chickens. Best part of the whole thing? Coming home to this guy.
Happy weekend- enjoy that sunshine if you’ve got it!