Hey y’all, Jennie here again. Nikki is galavanting around the country, so I’m keeping you going over here!
Do you remember when you were little and you used to do the summer reading program at the library, and you’d get prizes if you read a certain number of books, or at the very least, stickers? Summer reading was my fave thing – whenever we were at the beach we’d read all day, and the “Beach Reads” would pile higher and higher throughout the year, yearning for long days at the ocean.
We had more time, more sunlight, and who doesn’t love reading outside?! I read all sorts of book through the summer – series that I wanted to read back to back (Wrinkle In Time, anyone?), books I found at the Book Barn that I wasn’t sure if I’d like but I could read the first 50 pages just to check, classics that I’d never had to read for school but figured I should read…the list goes on and on. Well, I think it’s high-time to bring summer reading back in full force for adults.
Seize the summer – read those books that you wouldn’t otherwise read. Here’s a list to get you started. These are just two of MANY adult summer reading programs, but here is one in Chicago, and here is one in Los Angeles for my people!
Here are a list of some summer reads I’ve loved:
* Prodigal Summer, Babara Kingsolver
* Plainsong, Ken Haruf
* Loving Frank, Nancy Horan
* Straight Man, Richard Russo
* Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert
* Dreams from My Father, Barack Obama
* The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
* Practical Magic, Alice Hoffman
* Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Rebecca Wells
* Little Earthquakes, Jennifer Weiner